This week’s muse is the multi-talented beauty veteran, Tasha Turner. Tasha is founder and president of Beauty Beat NYC, where she helps beauty brands connect with women of color through various platforms, including Beauty Beat Box, a quarterly beauty subscription box and Beauty Beat College Program, which is a platform that empowers and introduces beauty products and trends to millennial women of color as well as shine a spotlight on their inner and outer beauty. When Tasha isn’t sifting though massive piles of beauty products or handling a myriad of duties in her fast-paced world, she is at home in New Rochelle, NY, in her favorite role as a devoted mom.
Tasha and I met many moons ago when she was the Senior Beauty Editor at Essence Magazine,Vibe and the special issues of InStyle, and I am delighted to feature her here!
My nighttime beauty routine has become my happy place ritual.
- “There’s nothing that mascara, blush and lip-tint can’t cure. I prefer a volumizing mascara with a thin brush that allows me to grab lashes from the bottom and work my way up with ease. A hint of color from blush and a lip tint always make me feel beautiful, refreshed and glowing even if I’m just picking the kids up from school.
2. I never go bed without slathering on a generous amount of night moisturizer. I love my face to be hydrated but I don’t like to shine when I’m around people and during the day. So, my nighttime routine – which also includes a face serum – gives my skin enough moisture where all I do is add a light cream with SPF during the day, particularly in the summer months. Depending on the time of year, I also live for my Clarisonic face brush. With the kids I don’t have too much time, so it’s like having a facial in the shower.
3. Oil Pulling with coconut oil leaves my teeth super white. It claims to remove the plaque and impurities from my mouth, too. I’ve been doing it every other day for seven months and I definitely notice the difference.
4. When I’m having a bad hair day, I am completely off kilter and my day mentally sucks! To prevent that, I never go to bed with wearing my silk head scarf. I don’t think I could sleep if I didn’t have it on and I don’t go on vacation or business trip without it. My poor husband… I’m sure he’s used to it now, but was gagged in the beginning of our relationship when he would see me with it on! For most black girls, a headscarf is on the top of the list. My new favorite find that we just featured in Beauty Beat Box is the Dyakim Textured Turban. My daughter and I use it right after washing out hair to quickly dry the hair and tame frizz.
5. When I’m feeling blah, I wake up early in the morning to take time for me I meditate, pray, read or look at inspirational messages to get my mind right. This helps me think with clarity and perspective. I do it early before everyone gets up, so I can focus without interruptions.
6. When I want to treat myself, ‘spa day’ here I come! A facial and a pedicure are my go to’s. My favorite is Haven Spa in NYC, and when I really want to treat myself I head over to Caudalie at the Plaza Hotel. The beauty floor at Bergdorf Goodman is also one of my favs. It always makes me happy!”
Follow Tasha & Beauty Beat Box!