Every beauty buff knows MAC makeup. The cosmetics brand has been a favorite of professional makeup artists and amateur beauticians alike since the ’90s, when Estée Lauder Companies welcomed them into their brand family. You may know the story behind your favorite hue of Lipglass, but we’re willing to bet you don’t have these juicy factoids under your beauty belt – yet.
Here are nine things you didn’t know about MAC lipsticks:
- MAC sells more than one lipstick every second around the world.
- Lipstick is the #1 category for MAC (and the beauty industry as a whole) in the U.S.
- MAC’s best-selling lipstick is Chili – 11 Chili MAC lipsticks are sold per minute globally!
- Cult-favorite lipstick Ruby Woo is the second best-selling shade. MAC sells 7 Ruby Woos per minute globally.
- Ruby Woo launched in August 1999 as part of a six-shade lineup in the Retro Matte Collection, and it’s still going strong!
- MAC Russian Red lipstick catapulted to fame with ‘Material Girl’ by Madonna, who wore the cool-undertone, matte red shade on her Blonde Ambition tour in 1990.
- MAC’s lipstick tubes are called “bullets” – fitting for the brand’s edgy vibe.
- MAC VIVA GLAM doesn’t just look great: it saves lives. 100% of the purchase price of any VIVA GLAM product goes towards the MAC AIDS Fund, which addresses the link between poverty and HIV/AIDS by supporting diverse support organizations worldwide.
- Backstage during the recent AW18 Fashion Week, over 3,700 lip products were used at MAC-supported shows.